Thursday, December 2, 2010

Letter of Inquiry 1

14 October 2010

543 Mountain Loop St.
Middleton, ID 83644

Amalgamated Sugar Company LLC
1951 S. Saturn Way, Suite 100
Boise, Idaho 83709

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is Kayla Isham, and I am a student at the College of Western Idaho. I am conducting a research project on issues relating to genetically modified foods. During my research, I encountered information regarding the recent Roundup Ready sugar beet ban. I am writing to you in inquiry of the affects of this ban on Amalgamated Sugar Company LLC and on Idaho’s economy as a whole.

I have learned that 95 percent of sugar beets grown in the United States are genetically modified to tolerate Roundup. Also, I have read articles in the Idaho Statesman of farmers expressing concern that the Roundup Ready sugar beet ban may prevent them from growing sugar beets because of a shortage in traditional sugar beet seed and the maintenance of growing traditional sugar beets. In the event that the ban is not repealed, how will Amalgamated Sugar be affected? Is there concern associated with local sugar beet farmers growing other crops rather than resorting back to traditional sugar beets? I understand that Idaho is currently second in the nation in sugar beet development. How will the ban affect Idaho’s presence in sugar production? What will the consequences of the ban be on Idaho’s economy?

Thank you for your time and consideration. A response would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Kayla Isham

No comments:

Post a Comment